Strawberries and Cream Smiley Face Cake!
To make this yummy cake you will need an Mini EasyMat: http://amzn.to/2h3lSa9
I hope you enjoy this creation, I’ve had a great time going out of my comfort zone on this and hope to continue working on more ‘special occasion’ party treats for you!
- 3 cups (375g) self raising flour
- 3/4 cup (165g) coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (225ml) vegetable oil
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (366g) Greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup (90g) of oats
- 1 mugful of fresh strawberries (about 1 punnet), diced but reserve 1 for the nose
- 2 blueberries
- Sprinkles for freakles and chocolate button for nose (optional)
- Large tub of heavy double cream (600ml)
- Red food colouring (natural preferred)
- Heat oven to 180°C. Grease your Mini EasyMat and line two shallow cake tins with baking paper
- Combine oil, eggs, yoghurt and vanilla in a large bowl and stir to combine
- Add flour, oats and coconut sugar and gently combine (do not overmix)
- Fold through diced strawberries
- Divide mix evenly between Mini EasyMat and 2 cake tins, place into the oven to bake for 15 minutes after which time remove the Mini EasyMat and continue to bake the main cake for a further 5-10 minutes
- In the meantime, make the frosting by whipping cream with a hand whisk until it will no longer run off the back of a spoon (stiff peaks) - reserve 6 tablespoons of frosting
- Once baked cakes are cool, spread 2 tablespoons of frosting over the inside of one of the cakes, you could add strawberry jam to inside of the other cake if desired
- Sandwich the two cakes together and then frost the rest of the cake using the remaining frosting
- Add frosting to the two eyes created from the Mini EasyMat mould and place strategically onto the cake, use your 2 blueberries to make pupil's
- Take a large mug and cut out a half moon from the large lip shaped EasyMat mould to form a structured smile shape (use picture as a reference)
- Add a few drops of red food colouring to reserved frosting, stir and then and spread over the lip mould - again place lips strategically onto the cake
- To finish your cake place remaining strawberry (or you could use a large chocolate button) strategically into the nose position
- Store cake in the fridge until it's time to serve, eat within 2-3 days.
You May Also Like
A new variation of my original Yoghurt Bark recipe, perfect for helping your little one cool down ...
This is quite an unusual combination but I think it tastes great, the turnip or swede depending on ...
You can omit the egg in this recipe and replace with 1/4 cup (6oml) of fruit puree. ...
Almond and cherry are such a delicious combination that I couldn't resist creating these tasty ...
Another delicious savory muffin - perfect for picnic lunches! I find the supermarkets own cream ...
I know lots of you love my Broccoli and Spinach Bite recipe, so I have taken that idea and adapted ...
I'm super excited to be focusing my attention back to snacks and in-particular healthy, vegetable ...
Yummy little rice cakes, perfect for little hands. See 'additional info' under recipe for rice ...