Simple Shepherds Pie
Hearty and wholesome is how I would describe this shepherd’s pie. Annabelle adores anything with mince, so this meal is a sure-fire winner! The cheese in this recipe is optional, but I personally find it makes it irresistible!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 medium carrots, diced into very small chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 500g minced lamb
- 500ml low-salt beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 900g potato, cut into chunks
- 85g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons full-fat milk (any will work — cow’s, soya, oat, coconut, breast or formula)
- 2 cups (250g) grated mild cheese
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and then fry the onion, carrots, sweet potato and parsnip for 5 minutes until soft
- After 5 minutes, add the mushrooms to the pan and crumble in the mince — cook until browned
- Once the mince has browned, pour in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée - simmer for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the potatoes on to boil until tender (approximately 10-15 minutes) ready to make the mash. Once the potatoes are tender, drain and then mash with the butter and milk
- Transfer the mince to an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato and a generous grating of mild cheese
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve once cooled.
You May Also Like
A new variation of my original Yoghurt Bark recipe, perfect for helping your little one cool down ...
This is quite an unusual combination but I think it tastes great, the turnip or swede depending on ...
You can omit the egg in this recipe and replace with 1/4 cup (6oml) of fruit puree. ...
Almond and cherry are such a delicious combination that I couldn't resist creating these tasty ...
Another delicious savory muffin - perfect for picnic lunches! I find the supermarkets own cream ...
I know lots of you love my Broccoli and Spinach Bite recipe, so I have taken that idea and adapted ...