Simple Shepherds Pie
Hearty and wholesome is how I would describe this shepherd’s pie. Annabelle adores anything with mince, so this meal is a sure-fire winner! The cheese in this recipe is optional, but I personally find it makes it irresistible!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 medium carrots, diced into very small chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 500g minced lamb
- 500ml low-salt beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 900g potato, cut into chunks
- 85g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons full-fat milk (any will work — cow’s, soya, oat, coconut, breast or formula)
- 2 cups (250g) grated mild cheese
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and then fry the onion, carrots, sweet potato and parsnip for 5 minutes until soft
- After 5 minutes, add the mushrooms to the pan and crumble in the mince — cook until browned
- Once the mince has browned, pour in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée - simmer for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the potatoes on to boil until tender (approximately 10-15 minutes) ready to make the mash. Once the potatoes are tender, drain and then mash with the butter and milk
- Transfer the mince to an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato and a generous grating of mild cheese
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve once cooled.
You May Also Like
These super cute bunny rabbit cookies are a fun adaption of my popular Two Ingredient Cookies. They ...
This easy, slow cooked lamb casserole makes light work on Easter day, or any day for that matter! ...
You could add finely chopped nuts, chocolate chips, diced dates or any other diced fruit to these ...