Simple Shepherds Pie
Hearty and wholesome is how I would describe this shepherd’s pie. Annabelle adores anything with mince, so this meal is a sure-fire winner! The cheese in this recipe is optional, but I personally find it makes it irresistible!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 medium carrots, diced into very small chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 500g minced lamb
- 500ml low-salt beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 900g potato, cut into chunks
- 85g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons full-fat milk (any will work — cow’s, soya, oat, coconut, breast or formula)
- 2 cups (250g) grated mild cheese
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and then fry the onion, carrots, sweet potato and parsnip for 5 minutes until soft
- After 5 minutes, add the mushrooms to the pan and crumble in the mince — cook until browned
- Once the mince has browned, pour in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée - simmer for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the potatoes on to boil until tender (approximately 10-15 minutes) ready to make the mash. Once the potatoes are tender, drain and then mash with the butter and milk
- Transfer the mince to an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato and a generous grating of mild cheese
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve once cooled.
You May Also Like
A cross between a Christmas pudding and a muffin – these moist Pud-fins are perfect single ...
This is a delicious treat for the whole family in between festive feasts! You can serve plain or ...
This dish is a great way of using up leftovers and is suitably warming for those cold winter ...
This delicious dish can convert even the strongest of sprout-haters. However, you could substitute ...
This is a great dish to pop in the slow cooker for guests coming round as it’ll serve several ...
To save time, you can make the stuffing mixture in advance and freeze either in one amount, or in ...
This is a delicious plait which is perfect for when you have guests popping round! To up the ...
This is a tasty way of using up some leftover turkey meat, or any meat you’ve had over Christmas! ...
This is a delicious breakfast treat which you could batch cook in advance to make your mornings ...
This is a lovely and rich indulgent breakfast, perfect for the whole family to enjoy as a treat on ...