Herby Turkey Meatballs
This is another easy ‘cheat meal.’ Let’s face it, us mums are pretty short of time! Having a high-needs reflux baby like Annabelle meant that these speedy meals were an absolute must-have if I were to stand any chance of keeping my sanity!
Tip: To save time, you can prepare the meatballs the night before and store in the fridge.
- 500g minced turkey
- 1 medium egg, whisked
- 50g breadrumbs
- 130g stuffing mix, water added according to the packet instructions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 x 600g cartons of passata or 3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large bowl, mix together the mince, egg, breadcrumbs and stuffing mix - shape into 25 meatballs
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and then fry the meatballs in batches for 4 minutes — reserve
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to your frying pan and then fry the carrots and onion for about 8 minutes until softened - transfer to a large saucepan
- Add the passata, chickpeas, meatballs, parsley and cumin to the carrots and onions in the saucepan and allow all of the ingredients to simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes
- Serve cooled with rice or pasta.